JK Rowling Redesign
May 17, 2004
ANGIE McKAIG -- There are reasons for JK Rowling to go back to the drawing board with regard to her faux-desktop Web site. Although it might work well as a place to mess around and explore, the mystery-meat design doesn't show visitors information about Rowling's characters or storylines. Fortunately, quality alternatives exist, offering faster information and clearly defined site navigation features.
McKaig's main points deserve repeating.
- Active items do not change when you move the mouse over them.
- While some active items feature (slightly delayed) tool tips when you mouse over them, not all do.
- "Powering down" Flash components does nothing.
- Items which have no purpose other than decoration have the same visual weight as items which do have some purpose.
- The relationship of item to task is shoddy.
- The help button provides no alternative navigation.
Angie McKaig -- "Mystery Meat"
Vincent Flanders -- "Mystery meat naviagation"